- 1.5 kilos Beetroot (Approximately 5 medium sized beets)
- 3 Brown Onions Finely chopped
- 3 Granny Smith Apples Peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 2 cups Balsamic Vinegar
- 500 grams Caster sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons All spice
- 2 springs Rosemary (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C .
- Wrap each beetroot bulb in foil, place in a baking dish. Bake in the oven for 45 mins – 1 hour.
- Set aside beetroots to cool slightly
- Once cool remove skins and discard
- Trim the root and stem ends and Finely chop the beetroot.
- Place beetroot, onion, apple, vinegar, sugar, ginger and all spice into a large saucepan over medium – high heat. Stir until the sugar is all dissolved.
- Add rosemary (Optional)
- Reduce heat to medium and Simmer for 45mins or until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove the rosemary and discard.
- Spoon the relish into sterilised jars and seal.
*Double measurements if larger batch is required
**Optional extras to the recipe you can include either
Juice of 1 lemon or ¼ cup of orange juice
Share this Recipe